Eating and speaking are daily parts of our lives we can often take for granted. The mechanisms involved in making these activities possible is extremely complex and consist of many moving parts within our joints in our face, referred to as temporomandibular joints. It is possible that the joints can be damaged, resulting in temporomandibular disorders, otherwise known as TMD, which can be painful and dangerous.
Diagnosing and treating TMD begins with spotting the symptoms:
– Do you have any joint pain when your jaw is moving?
– Do you have any muscle stiffness or pain around your head?
– Do you get headaches?
– Is there any popping or clicking sounds when you open your jaw?
– Does your jaw ever lock up?
– Do you suffer from arthritis, jaw dislocation or injury, tooth and jaw misalignment issues, stress, anxiety, or bruxism?
If you have any of these symptoms, you may suffer from TMD. Treatment is available. Our team at Lifetime Dental Care can help you deal with pains associated with TMD. Listed below are some common treatments:
– You can follow exercises that are specifically designed to strengthen your jaw muscles.
– Some medications, such as muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatory medications can help with TMD.
– Bruxism treatments for grinding your teeth can be minimized with bite plates or night guards.
– Avoid extreme movements to your jaw, including deep yawns and chewing gum.
If you think you suffer from TMD, you can schedule an appointment with Dr. Anthony Butchert by calling us at 715-552-1000, and speak with a member of our team. Our office is located in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. We look forward to fixing your smile!